If you think your company doesn’t need a social media handbook, you are sorely mistaken. Every organization that has employees publically posting information on its behalf must have guidelines in place to ensure it’s done properly.
A well-written social media handbook offers a variety of benefits, making it easier for everyone to work together and effectively build your company’s social media presence.
5 Must-Have Business Social Media Guidelines
Getting ready to create your company’s very first social media handbook? Don’t forget to cover these four topics:
- Outline What Your Team is Permitted to Do: Instead of focusing on what you don’t want your team to do with your social media accounts, clearly outline what actions you would like them to take. You won’t get very far by being overly restrictive on social media.
- Use Good Judgment: The last thing you want is for your company to land in the middle of a social media controversy, because your team posted something highly inappropriate. Make it clear that they need to use common sense before sharing all content. State the consequences for failing to take responsibility for less-than-tasteful posts.
- Ensure Posts are Audience Appropriate: Your social media team needs to really know your audience. They can post well-written, highly engaging content, but if it’s aimed at the wrong demographic, it won’t do anything for your business. Clearly state the audience you’re trying to reach on your social channels.
- Keep Private Information Under Wraps: Social media is a great way to keep your customers up-to-date with the latest happenings at your organization. However, it is very possible to overshare and inadvertently post private company information. Outline the process the social media team should take to ensure they don’t accidentally spill your secrets.
- How to Respond in a Crisis: No matter how many precautions you take, you may still find your company in the middle of a social media crisis. It’s important to have a plan already in place, so you can take action immediately. The faster you’re able to start diffusing the situation, the sooner things will calm down.
Searching for the best person for the job? Contact Barrington Staffing. We’re one of the premiere staffing agencies in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties, offering temporary, temp-to-hire and direct hire staffing services. Our job categories include administrative support, executive assistant, human resources, reception, general office/clerical, call center, customer relations, marketing support, IT support, social media, accounting, office management, database/data entry operator, purchasing, sales and technical.