The purpose of a job interview is two-fold — not only are you tasked with evaluating candidates, you’re also responsible for making them want to work for your organization. The best and brightest people can find work anywhere. If you want them to join your team, you’re going to have to sell the job to make it stand out from the rest.
How to Effectively Sell a Job at Your Company
Use these five tips to make top talent want to work for you:
- Clearly Describe the Position. You can attract a mediocre candidate with a vague job description — but your company deserves more. Take the time to review all the responsibilities associated with the position, so the person knows how they would be spending their day. Present it in a manner that sounds fun and enticing, to hold their interest in the job.
- Detail Your Expectations for the Role. Explain what you want the person in this role to achieve, so they know exactly what they’d be getting into. Create a 30-60-90 day plan to break down the goals in an easy-to-understand manner. This is a great way to impress the candidate by showing that you know exactly where the position is headed. No one wants to step into an undefined role with ambiguous expectations.
- Explain How the Team Works. Starting a new job can be intimidating, especially when you don’t understand how you would fit into the team. Eliminate this mystery by offering a review of the team structure. Describe the current hierarchy, how the team functions and where this position fits into the mix.
- Define Your Company Culture. The importance of cultural fit cannot be emphasized enough. Provide a detailed explanation of the shared values and practices of your organization. The right candidate will truly understand and relate, giving them even more reason to be excited at the potential of joining your team.
- Describe Why It’s a Great Place to Work. Share what makes you enjoy working at your company. Candidates can tell when you’re being sincere, so if they can see that you’re truly passionate about the organization, they’re going to want to get onboard. Don’t forget to include great perks offered by the company — like telecommuting, free snacks in the break room and an onsite fitness center — as these can also sweeten the deal.
Searching for top talent to join your team? Partner with Barrington Staffing. Since 1982, we have been making employment matches throughout the San Fernando Valley, Burbank & Glendale, West Los Angeles, the Conejo and Simi Valleys, and the Santa Clarita Valley.